*Apologies. I thought I had submitted this yesterday but, only realized today that I had left it unpublished.*

Glenn Gould’s interpretations of Johann Sebastian Bach’s “Goldberg Variations” provide different adaptations of the original composition. The most significant difference between the two recordings is the tempo. In the 1955 version, the tempo is much more nimble than that of the 1981 version. In fact, the 1955 version is thirty-eight minutes and thirty-four seconds long compared to the leisurely fifty-one minutes and eighteen second long 1981 version. The sounds of each form are very similar in the sense that they are both played on a piano by the same person, only twenty-six year apart. Gould’s choice of tempo was not the only change from the original 1955 version. He would repeat specific sections of the composition which allowed him to explore more rhythmic qualities of the piece. His decision to do this resulted in a longer, more thought-out rendition of the original (twelve minutes and forty-four seconds longer to be exact). As for the  melody and harmonic structure, it is mostly the same with the exception of repetitiveness and difference in pace. Overall, I found the two pieces were very satisfying to listen to. Out of the two recordings I would have to say that the later rendition (1981) was the better one of the two. Although it may not follow the same pace or structure as Johann Sebastian Bach’s original to a certain extent, the piece sounds more established as a musical composition compared to the one in 1955.